1.10.2010

Problem

Some Kid's Dream

Crept down the stairs while the trees move past outside their feet deep in earth
I am not bound to anything like that
except the present
and I had something to prove tonight

an hour away from the sides of buildings the light shine
everyone seems sexy or in love or otherwise hungry in the village
met a man he said he knew how to get me high
and this was the night I died

&

Dr. Klein wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. Lauren in the next room, taking his calls. He sat back and imagined the rest of the day, and then to see if he could, imagined the day after, and the day after that.

"Dr. Klein, Cliff is on the line," Lauren buzzed in.

"It's okay, Lauren, I'll take it."

"Okay."

"Cliff."

"Dr. Klein, how are you?"

"I'm fine, Cliff, how can I help you?"

"I'm having a bit of a crisis. I was wondering if I could meet you."

"Cliff, we're not scheduled until Thursday. Can it wait until then?"

"No, no, it can't."

He looked over his appointment book.

"Well, this is difficult, Cliff, but maybe I can fit you in... let me see... can you come in at 7? There was a cancellation."

"Well, Dr. Klein, I know this is unusual but this crisis is -- it's complicated. I was hoping you would come to see me."

"Ah, Cliff, I never go to a client's home. It's nothing personal, of course, it's just that there are guidelines about these things. It's a liability, though again of course I mean no offense to you personally at all."

"Dr. Klein. It's about the dream machine."

The office was quiet for a moment. There was the sound of the white noise makers, keeping conversations from coming out into the lobby through the office walls and door.

"What about it?"

"I need to show you. In person."

"Okay Cliff. But I can't get out until 7."

"That's fine. Just hurry."

"Okay. I will see you then."

"And Dr. Klein?"

"Yes?"

"Please bring it. Bring the machine."

Dr. Klein exhaled.

"I'll see what I can do. Bye, Cliff."

But he had already hung up.

No comments: